Wednesday, June 13, 2007

We had a great Step 6 mtg tonite.... and of course, our enthusiastic newcomer was there asking all sorts of questions. I am glad he spoke up.. It makes me a little nervous talking about later steps with a newer person in the meeting. I think it's great that they are getting exposed to what's in store but like as it happened tonite, it can get a little confusing. All this guy is trying to do is not drink a day at a time, get a handle on acceptance of his dz and try not to take his anger out on his wife. he has really had some temper issues (per his share tonite) since he quit drinking and his wife can't figure out why. and well, neither can he, the poor guy. I explained to him that his normal coping tools (booze) are all locked away and he is a bit of a jumble of nerve endings right now... and Of course we gave him heavy doses of "keep coming to lots of meetings, get a sponsor, a home group and talk to someone in recovery on a daily basis, especially a sponsor." I hope he keeps coming back... He has added so much to our meeting... And it's great having him in there when we read and discuss the Steps...

My first home group was a 12 X 12 Step meeting. Each week we did a diff Step and then the last nite of the month we did a tradition. That way we got through the 12X12 pretty quickly, over and over. I believe that really gave me a good understanding and foundation on the Steps as I worked through them myself...

gratitude...

Thank You Heavenly Father for...

sobriety, AA and the Steps
my health,
my wife, son, doggie and fishies...
lots of work right now and some that's paying off
peace of mind
faith in You to know that all will always be well if I continue to believe and practice my faith
summer
the excitement of a new hobby or two: fishkeeping and catechesis
camping trip with Ian last Saturday
going to the lake this weekend
The Secret, and it's impact for my wife, wow!
The Optimist Club
community service (and no, I didn't get in trouble with the law!)
Your Presence in the Mass
a wonderful visit with my dad today

Prayer for today...

JC/God/HP, thanks for yet another sober, wonderful day. Nothing in particular went my way or happened out of the ordinary, and I am glad to be feleing so great. I am grateful that I no longer require "special" things or getting ym way in order to feel good. I am grateful I can just feel good about everything in ym life today and be at peace. I pray for Your Blessings and Grace as my neighbors decide whether Les should have bypass surgery or not. It's a tough time fo rthem. please help me be fit to serve them in whatever way You see fit. Thanks for helping ym wife with her spirit and attitude, I hardly recognize her since she read, and re-read "The Secret." I am so happy she's feeling better emotionally. In fact, I hardly recognize her. And thanks for helping her though this time with her back, it hasn't been pretty. Please help me to remember that I am here to make my self as fit as possible to be of service to You and to those about me.

peace be with you all...

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I love that you share your prayers with us Scot. I am praying for les too. I am so glad the cloud lifted and your wife is feeling better..
I remember you mentioning you bought this book "The Secret" for her for mothers day? who is the author... I may want to go buy it and read it
have a great day my friend

dAAve said...

Good stuff for that newcomer.
It's not my original thought, but I agree that most, if not all, relapses in sobriety are due to not working Step 6 with diligence.

Judith said...

I've heard The Secret is awesome. Haven't checked it out myself, but one of my AA friends who has 18 years and who doesn't care for any literature outside AA stuff said The Secret rocks.