Thursday, April 15, 2010

gratitude for some growth...

I did something last night I wished I hadn't had to do, and well maybe I didn't HAVE to but I did. As many of you know, I like to volunteer and I especially enjoy working with youngsters. So, when Ian wanted to become a Tiger Cub Scout last year we went in 100%, I became his den leader and this past fall I became Cubmaster. Well, we've got a den leader that's causing problems by politicking his monetary policy agenda to parents in public meetings (in front of the boys) and during events, running me and the other leaders down to our local Boy Scout Troop and just being a general "weenie." As a result if his behaviour, we have angry and confused parents,a dn have lost one of our better den leaders and his son from our program. This fellow knows better, but has some sort of pesonal agenda where the Cub Scout Pack finances are concerned. I don't know his motives and frankly, they are none of my business.

As the Cubmaster, I have a responsibility to lead the Pack, help it grow and do things the "Scout way." So after this guy's latest inappropriate bunch of behaviour Monday evening, rather than confront him or have a second argument with him (we had a burn up in a planning meeting once, and I promised myself never to let him "get my goat" again) I reflected on it this week, prayed about it, and ran my thoughts through the filter of what I think God's Will might be. As a result, I wrote an email last evening respectfully expressing my concerns with this fellow's behaviour (not attacking him personally). In this email, I outlined a plan of action for improvement and reconciliation. Whether or not he is interested in this plan is not up to me of course, but I have a responsibility to run a good program for the boys, according to our charter and the policies and procedures of the Scouts and I can no longer sit idly by "taking the high road."

I am grateful for this fellow and his antics because I am provided with an opportunity for growth. I am given a chance to demonstrate tact, understanding, empathy and a willingness to be decent and not participate in the infighting, backstabbing and so forth. I've been given a set of principles to live by and for today I am living by them and it feels good. I don't have to get all cranked up because someone "isn't following the rules." I can be at peace, do my best to do the next right thing, and let the chips fall where they may.

Of course, if this fellow continues to persist I will have to summon up a bit more faith in God and work a bit harder to not get all stupid about him. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I guess this is stuff I was supposed to learn when I was a kid but I didn't. Thanks to God, AA and the fellowship of AA I am learning these things today!

4 comments:

drybottomgirl said...

Awesome job! You handled this so well, and didn't get sucked into his agenda. You are setting such a strong example for your son, the scouts, and for yourself. I'm also lucky that you share your example so I can learn from it as well.

Syd said...

I always ask myself before I jump into opening my mouth "How Important Is It?" It has helped me to not leap in when I don't need to make a big deal about something.

The Turning Point said...

You're right. Its sounds like a good learning experience.
Mine was with football moms. Talk about a lioness den, but I was a slower learner than you.

God be with you.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're handling this well. I always try to pray for guidance and direction in these kinds of situations and am often amazed with how well things come out! Take care and good luck with it!!