Wednesday, August 25, 2010

gratitude

I am a few days away from the 1st anniversary of taking the position of "Executive Director" of our local Chamber of Commerce (three small rural towns, nearly 200 member businesses and organizations, oooh doesn't that sound impressive?). Of course, as a sober AA who measures the passage of time by anniversaries, I find it necessary to reflect each time I approach some sort of milestone.

This past year, not without its financial stresses, has been an excellent year, professionally speaking. I've learned (sort of) how to plan and pull off public events, dinners, luncheons. I've learned how to host and emcee events. I've learned how to do some radio and tv. I've gotten a chance to simply be a salesman/marketer/cheerleader, all while expanding my professional network immensely. This has been a year of many new experiences and much learning and humility. This past year marks another whole "re-creation" of myself in sobriety. I am doing things I would never have seen myself doing even just a couple years ago. Because of the lessons learned in AA, I have a much more fruitful existence today.

I think I've had many of these skills and abilities in me but I've not had the chance to develop them until now. I really feel as if I am doing what I am supposed to be doing right now. I write, I teach, I play my horn. I sell, I network, I blog, I market and promote. I talk and share information. I love what's happening for me, professionally speaking. I do none of this without a relationship with a power greater than myself. God gives me the courage, the mission, the energy and the purpose to live my life today. I pray for His guidance and occasionally I seek it and follow lol.

Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the changes in my life and reflecting upon the past year, I find myself overwhelmed once again. Life continues to be an adventure, constant ebb and flow of change. I used to be mortified and paralyzed by change and newness. Now, I find myself bored and unchallenged without the very change and newness I once ran from. God and AA have given me a whole new outlook on life and for that I am so grateful.

3 comments:

Syd said...

Congratulations on the new position. That is quite an honor. Enjoy all of it. Life is about changes and mostly we live through them all.

KB said...

Sounds like you are taking all these changes in your stride. Keep up the good work.

drybottomgirl said...

What a great post today. I love when good things happen to great people.....and my wish is for many more good things to keep rolling your way :) smiles.....