Sunday, September 05, 2010

quiet

After Ian's soccer match yesterday morning, my wife and Ian left for West Virginia. They went to visit my wife's family for the weekend, leaving me alone to fend for myself. I am one who likes his quiet time. With a home-centric sorta wife, I very rarely find myself alone in our home. So, I have been enjoying the quiet. I've gotten a couple minor little things done around the house, been to the office to work on a project and have spent time reading through my real estate licensing books in advance of my classes coming up next weekend. I'm trying to balance quality work time with some relaxation as well, to make the weekend as productive as I can. The next 5 weeks will be insane with classes on Saturdays and Sundays, Ian's birthday and a busy workload right now.

I felt somewhat guilty because they were both bummed I wasn't coming. And, my wife took the trip especially to give me some time alone, even though she really doesn't understand my need for alone time. So, I've been fighting the urge to feel bad for their feeling bad, if you take my meaning. We've talked a couple times since they left and all seems well. She and I need to do better at letting each other feel how we feel and have our own opinions. Sometimes co-dependency runs amok in our relationship. So to me, this is a good exercise for us, and provides some much needed "me" time for me.

Do you other married/obligated folks have a need for occasional alone time or separation? What do you think?

I will probably pop back on after awhile for some creative writing.

4 comments:

Em said...

I love quiet time :)

Em said...

I love quiet time :)

Em said...

I love quiet time :)

SouthLakesMom said...

We definitely need quiet time away from one another. I remember a line from the movie Out of Africa where Karin realizes that sometimes when Denis goes away, it isn't because he has a job to do, but because he just needs to...and she struggles with having to accept their relationship on those terms.

By the way, I love the photo of the trombone -- how did you do that? My son is a trumpet player, which all the girls really like, but he sure can't light it up like that photo!