Tuesday, January 25, 2011

we do not wish to forget the past

I cannot get over the change in my life since I stopped drinking in 1996. My life today is barely recognizeable from what it was when I arrived on the doorstep of AA. I haven't forgotten my last drinking/drugging episode, but it is difficult for me to imagine living that way.

I must remember where I came from, in order to continue on the path of recovery. I dare not toss my alcoholic and addict life completely in the trash bin if I am to stay sober and be of help to other recovering people. That's not to say that I cling to my old life, and replay all of those moments in gory detail. But, I musn't lost sight of the facts about how awful my drinking and drugging had gotten, and all the insanity I caused myself and others.

My past is now one of my greatest assets, kept in the proper perspective. Today I have a grateful heart, for the miracle God has worked in me. Today I can share that miracle, share my gratitude and give hope to those who are presently feeling as I did when I first came to meetings. There is hope, you do not HAVE to live the life of insanity, chaos and strife that active addiction and alcoholism creates. There is a solution, and for me that solution was in the form of the spiritual program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I was led to a home group, found a sponsor, worked through the 12 Steps and eventually, gradually I got well and my life became much more positive and less chaotic.


Today, I am simply grateful to be given the chance at a sober life. I pray I can pass this hope on to someone who really needs it.

God Bless, be well...

5 comments:

steveroni said...

A grateful heart, you wrote. Never before have I realized how aptly you named your blog. Nuggets of sobriety is exactly what you dish out, day after day.

I get from today's post this nugget:
Change My heart...

Sure glad to 'see' you again.
PEACE!

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear. Happy 2011!

Brian Miller said...

i think we def have to remember it, just let grace keep us from beating ourselves up with it...

dAAve said...

Howdy pardner.

Syd said...

Nice Scott. I am glad that you have found the peace that recovery brings. You are so right--no one has to live such a life. There is hope and help.