Tuesday, January 24, 2012

surrender...

Every day is a day I must surrender to my illness...  I am an alcoholic.  I am drug-addicted.  Today I must not drink or use drugs if I am to have a good life.  God (my HP) gives me the strength to stay sober one day at a time.  But, I must surrender to the fact that I cannot control my drinking or drug use once it begins.  I cannot afford to ever forget that.  My entire life, all the good things depend upon my surrender.

Step 1 is as important to me today as it was on day one of my recovery nearly 16 years ago.  If I ever forget my life before AA, I am doomed to go back to it.  I remember what it was like, mainly because I still go to meetings and meet newcomers who are fresh into recovery.  Seeing the and hearing their stories reminds me of where I've come from.  It also offers me the opportunity to help our newcomers with my experience.  I can let God work his wonders through my experience and my love.

AA is awesome, and I am so grateful for my sobriety and all the Grace that has come my way as a result of coming to AA.

3 comments:

Syd said...

I'm glad that you are where you are today, but ever vigilant for your spiritual health.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott! Just now I found your blog via byebyebeer's blog and found that I very much like your writing.

I wish to create a morning routine, a morning prayer that I'm composing. A prayer meaningful to me, to give me a very good start of the day, a reminder... and what you wrote "I cannot afford to ever forget that. My entire life, all the good things depend upon my surrender" is something that I shall infuse in my morning prayer that is currently taking its shape.

Thank you for sharing and take care!

ScottF said...

thanks for coming by river! you too Syd!