Sunday, July 16, 2006

don't fence me in...

It has been roasty toasty hot here. Yesterday I waited until 7:30 pm to go out and mow... I was drenched by the time I got done weed whacking and mowing... Today and tomorrow it's expected to hit the mid-upper 90's. Frankly, that works fo me! I love warm weather... It's funny cuz most people around here complain about the cold nasty wetness of winter, then turn around and complain about the hot, humid days of summer. Me, I complain about that nasty winter we get and revel in the warmth of spring, summer and fall. It is getting so I really don't like winter whatsoever. Around here, we could see snow in late October, but ususally not much before Thanksgiving and quite often not until early December. But, we're good for a ton of cilly, rainy, grey days below 40 degrees for 6 mos or longer... That's the part I dislike. Our winter seems to go on for years, lol. I can see my family eventually relocating to AZ, near Sedona/Jerome/Flagstaff, or down near Tucson.

Anyway, not sure where all of that came from! Today, I am gonna take Ian to the "big pool" and get back home in time to watch most of the Cup Race up in New Hampshire. Go #11!! Later on, I will hopefully hit the driving range to hit balls with Ian, it has been too long since we've hit balls. Also, this evening once it kools down, I have two new Forsythias to plant. I got a Queen Zlizabeth (sort of a lite peach/pinkish flower) rosebush and 2 Forsythias for under $5.00 for all of them. I like to buy my perennials this time of year cuz, they are waaay on sale. You can usually find some good plants, ya just have to look a bit.

Since we bought this place in 2002, I have been trying to add different foliage and color to the landscape. In 4 yrs, we've added 2 Eastern Redbud trees, an Adams Crabapple tree, an entire bed along the garage, 2 rosebushes, 3 Forsythias, Hostas, Bleeding Hearts, Lillies of the Valley, 4 Lavendar, tons of bulbs, 7 various Daylillies, a Colorado Blue Spruce, a Variegated Dogwood, various flowerbeds/veggie garden and a Pincushion. We have a nice, large lot so there's plenty more room for well placed trees, shrubs and gardens. I love tinkering with this stuff. I am probably not doing things the best way they can be done, but that's what I like about gardening, you can mix and match things, move them, get rid of them, etc. The thing I like about the various smaller trees and shrubs we've added is that the give beauty, a variety of features to look at and they also provide screening for the neighboring homes without have to go the way of the privacy fence. Most of the yards in our community are not bordered by fencing. We have some chain link in our yard to give an area for Cosmo but we haven't fenced ourselves in. I prefer a natural screen, so that's what we're working towards...

Prayer for the Day:

God/HP, help me to live Your Will today. Help me to not hurt anyone, including myself. Please give me insight on how to better tend Your ground upon which we well, that it may reflect the Wonder of Your Grace of creation. Thank you for the gifts of sight, sound and smell that I may enjoy the blessings of Your natural world. Please help me to be a good steward of Your earth so that we may all share in Your blessings.

4 comments:

lash505 said...

Yes I like to garden. It seems to help work the stress out.

dAAve said...

God, please help me to no longer be a serial plant murderer.

Mary Christine said...

You call THAT hot?

Scott M. Frey said...

MC yeah, I call THAT hot... our heat index has been over 100 degrees with the stifling humidity that you there in the front range are fortunately without! :-)