Sunday, September 23, 2007

reflections

I am amazed at how much my life has changed since getting sober on Jan 28, 1996. Back then, all I cared about was myself, pleasing myself, having fun and partying. I was 27, working at McDonald's (with a bachelor's degree in Music Ed and most of my master's in Music Performance), playing in a local band with a bunch of 18-21 yr olds, in a sick relationship with a sweet girl, hosting my step-brother as he lived in my blown out recliner in my living room and attic. I had my last drink at a club in East Toledo where my band was playing and I had just begun the whole "I'm not going to use or get drunk tonite, just to see what it would be like to play a show that way..." merry go round. Needless to say, I wasn't posting a winning record at that effort. Once again, "finding myself " high by 2 pm, and deciding to just get on with it since I blew it already. I recall drinking myself sober that nite and thinking to myself around 3 am how that can't be right, after all the $1.00 Rolling Rocks (our band "earnings") I had drunk that nite... The next morning, my step-bro decided he needed help, and in the interest of helping him "since he really had a problem" we pitched all our booze and drugs, and I took him over to my dads so they could go to AA. Little did I know that within 3 days I would own my first Big Book and within 5 days I would attend my first ever meeting, and that I had had my last (hopefully) drink.

Today, my life is barely recognizable compared to the way it was when I stumbled into AA 11 and a half yrs ago. I can barely imagine living the way I used to,but thanks to AA and you people, I have not forgotten where I have come from. I do not wish to go back there, nor do I regret it. it took me a long time to understand what that meant in the promises, but I get it now! I love my life today... Thanks to HP and AA I am free today, and living a good life!

prayer for today

HP, Holy Spirit, God, JC, thanks for another sober, beautiful day. Thank You for the Catechist's Blessing at Mass this morning (and the yummy donuts). Thanks for the new career opportunity, and the chance to help lots of new customers, even more than I was able to before. Thanks for my wife and son and doggie, my family and friends. I pray that I might use this day to do Your Glorious Will, and share my love for You with everyone I meet.

peace be with you all!

1 comment:

Pammie said...

It really is true that we have a 2nd life..don't ya think?
I love miracles.....I think you are one..I know I AM.