Sunday, August 17, 2008

something to consider

I borrowed this question from a site I like to visit:

"Whenever I find myself under acute tensions, I lengthen my daily walks and slowly repeat our Serenity Prayer in rhythm to my steps and breathing."

Grapevine, March 1962
As Bill Sees It page 250

How does your prayer and meditation change while under acute tensions?

Lately I have been under periods of acute tensions both at work and at home. I tend to get crabby and short-tempered when I am under the gun or otherwise pressed for time and overwhelmed.

I think the appropriate response for me (I know it's appropriate because it works well when I do it) is to stop, take a deep breath and remember that this probably isn't important enough to get all bent and twisted over. I try to take a moment to remember that I am doing whatever it is I am doing as part of my duty to God and those around me. This tends to bring about an attitude of humilty and gratitude and sort of "rights the ship."

I can tell when I have gotten lax with my spiritual program. When I go through those periods of intense acute tensions, regardless of their source I react with anger and impatience. So, it's important to me to begin my day with a period of relaxing thought and prayer about the things that matter most, and where they come from. Sometimes a bit of reading from one of the four Gospels or from some of my AA literature sets the tone nicely for some reflection. Often times in the summer, I spend a few moments outside in the quiet morning before I dash off to work. That helps a lot for me.

How do you all deal with acute tensions when they arise in your lives? What steps do you all take to set yourself up to be prepared when those moments arise?

No comments: