Thursday, October 22, 2009

living "on purpose"

Have you ever felt like the life you're leading is right in line with your purpose? I mean really felt like you're doing exactly what you're meant to be doing? Well, I feel that way these days. I don't ever recall having this feeling so strongly as I do right now, and it seems to grow stronger almost on a daily basis.

At my core, I am a musician and a teacher. I am a salesman/marketer/promoter. Most importantly and firstly, I am also a "helper," a giver of service to others, a parent and husband. My life today is filled with activities and roles that support these "vocations" God has called me to.

For example, I play my trombone in church and in a dance/swing band, I teach and I occasionally get up in front of groups and conduct. I am an active Rotarian, Optimist (I realize the irony here, an alcoholic/addict Optimist) and I belong to a small local service club in a town down the road from where I live. I help coach my son's sports teams, I teach Jr High and High School CCD at my Church, and I help my son with his homework (now why do I lack the patience to teach my wife things like how to operate her cell phone lol?). I have had careers in sales and service since high school. My current job as Executive Director of our Chamber of Commerce is nothing more than pure and simple service, networking, promotion and sales. I am finally "out of the closet" as a salesman, lol. I don't have to hide behind being a mortgage expert, or plastics molding/manufacturing expert to "keep people from knowing I am in sales," and therefore keep them from avoiding me, lol. I'm an honest sales/service man (and yes, there IS such a person). My job is to support our Chamber Members in growing their business, their organizations and the Chamber. My business is helping people connect and get better at what they do.

So what you say? I only bring all this up to bring home the point that it's just plain good to be finally doing what I am suppsoed to be doing, in all facets of my life. For years I sought things, careers, and activities that didn't fit God's Purpose for me. I was always swimming upstream, "living my life in someon else's skin," fighting the natural order of things. Getting sober in AA began the long process of finding myself, finding my purpose. I know I am still on the journey, I haven't "arrived" but I feel at least that I am on the path I am supposed to be on. Damn, that feels good after years of struggle and searching. One by one, God introduced all the people and groups into my life that led me to be where I am today. All I had to do was show up and make an effort to follow His lead. I am grateful I've done my part.

I pray that I continue seeking God's Will and accepting what He brings to me. I has worked wonders so far!

2 comments:

steveroni said...

Scott I guess it is not strange that I feel the same way. After years of meetings and all the trimmings, we must have SOME things in common again hey?

Thank you for an easy and worthwhile read.

PEACE

Syd said...

It is good to know that I'm on the right path to serenity after so long without it. I'm grateful to be where I am today.