Friday, March 23, 2012

optimism?

Well, I did it!  I made myself stay away from the little league baseball coaches organizational meeting last night.  I really love coaching little league, but I HAVE to say no and keep my calendar less hectic.  It was hard but I did it lol.  I knew if I went even just to be a "helper" I'd have gotten sucked into being a full-time coach.  As much as I love it, I have to say no.  I'll pitch in and help out whoever Ian's coach is, if they need an extra pair of hands once in awhile.

Yesterday's interview at the bank went well.  We sat and talked for nearly 90 minutes, and I left with the impression I'd be getting a call back next week for either a second interview or a follow-up.  They did give me a baseline salary number which was fairly disappointing, and I recall vowing never to go to work at a bank again after my awful experience at the HUGE bank I last worked for.  But, the culture at this small community bank is much, much better than that of the big bank.  We'll see what happens.  It was good for me to go through yet another interview, and come out feeling confident.

Acceptance is important for me today as I continue searching for the ideal career/income situation.  I'm blessed to have a job I enjoy very much, and I am fortunate to be able to sell real estate on the side.  But, Our family needs more stability and greater income so the search continues.  The whole process is draining but the interviews have all gone well, even if I've come up short on two great opportunities so far.  I have this distinct sense that something really great is coming soon.  Perhaps it's plain old optimism, maybe it's faith.  But, I really feel like I am about to "get my break" based on the results I am seeing in my present job running the chamber of commerce.  I just have to be patient, keep my head down, do my very best a day at a time and accept the outcome.

All this focus on career and money leaves me wondering and afraid of becoming too self-centered.  It's not all about money for me, but when you're the sole provider for your family, you have to "make it happen" so to speak.  It is definitely a struggle...

3 comments:

Furtheron said...

Ying and Yang is what I'm left thinking here... You have a job you love but not enough income. I have a job that I'm just not sure about, it is me not the job in the last few years the passion I had for work has really left me and I keep wondering if I shouldn't change and do something completely different - but that thought freezes me since I have a really good income that means my family is well provided for...

Ying and Yang...

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I know what you mean about career and money. I've tended to move to extremes in those areas over the last couple of years as I have become the sole channel of money provisions and the larger channel of provisions for God to use in that way. I like to look at it like that, but sometimes I get so focused on the weight of the "I'm" it, I forget that I'm God's employee and he will provide... so long as I'm doing his work well. Sometimes that fact is SO elusive when I get scared though, and the whole money thing has always been a scary thing for me.

:)

Syd said...

I'm sorry for the struggle. Hopefully, you will know something soon. You are a good fellow, Scott. I appreciate your being here.