Monday, June 25, 2007

judgement...

This morning's Gospel Reading: Matthew 7, 1-5

'Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgement you make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck in your neighbour's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbour, "Let me take the speck out of your eye", while the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbour's eye.'

What are you saying to me, Lord?

Well, it's pretty scary, the notion that I will be judged as I have judged others. I mean heck, it's in the Lord's Prayer: "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..." Yep, there it is, pretty clear. I'm simply not in a position to make an accurate judgement of anyone until I clear away my own debris. And well, since it's impossible for me to be perfect like God, then perhaps I ought to leave the judging to Him. Easier said than done, lol!

Prayer for today...

JC/God/HP, please help me to stay sober just for today. There is nothing more important in my life today than for me to be sober and drug free. Thank You for receiving me into your Church, that I might know the Truth. Thank You also for preparing me to receive you into my heart, soul and body. I can feel that You're changing my life a day at a time. Please help me not to judge others today, but to keep the focus on what I can improve in myself. I pray for Your Will and Grace for the soldiers (and their families) who defend our great nation; for our leaders, that they might find a peaceful solution to the troubles in our world; for my neighbor Les and his wife as he recovers from major open heart surgery; for my friend Sober Steve, as he deals with the changes in his life; for SC who's found her way back to You and to us here in recovery; and to all those sick and suffering, especially Scout's friend and Scott W's friend, working on a new life in the sunlight of Your Spirit.

peace be with you all!!

4 comments:

Scott W said...

Judgement and self-centerdness are my big ones. Thanks for sharing.

There is a solution to so much suffering. I see it all the time, those that just can't get it.

dAAve said...

Being judgemental is certainly one of my larger negative aspects. I work on it all the time.

Shannon said...

""forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..." is my favorite part of that prayer- totally reminds, I aint perfect, and neither is anyone else.. good reminder.. sheeesh you would of thunk I had forgotten this. I appreaciate you Scott!

Anonymous said...

If anything I judge myself horribly. I am working on it, and I know am on the right path! I think the important thing is to be honest about it. My sponsor does this, and she brings humor into how she can sometimes get involved in passing judgement on someone.

Ok, so check this out, you left this link on my blog when yo commented, I followed it and got THIS. Hmmmmm.

Besides the serenity prayer, the Lord's Prayer was one of the first I ever learned. At the age of 28 I did not know any type of prayer . . . so blessed that I do today.

Muah!