Thursday, May 06, 2010

I love this time of year, plain and simple! I love spring and early summer and I love late summer and early fall. And I love midsummer. I guess it would've been simpler to say that I don't enjoy winter so much! I love being able to step outside and smell our lilacs, our cherry blossoms, my freshly cut weeds, um lawn. I love the ping of aluminum baseball bats and the rainy breezes of this time of year. It's so easy for my soul to find solace during these times. Stepping outside (all pollen related allergies aside) is a real blessing this time of year for this alcoholic.

Natalie (my wife's 20 something niece who's struggling mightly with alcoholism and addiction)called outta the blue last nite. She's on another pink cloud, having come off of a bad OD experience last week that culminated in a 3 day ICU hospital stay. She's full of excuses on why AA is no good and it's tough to tell if she's speaking much in the way of truth these days. Her parents have been forced to really cut the cord and eliminate contact with her since all she does is fleece them, lie to them and hurt them. So I think maybe we're getting the call now out of guilt and loneliness on her part. All my wife and I can do is pray for her so, please remember one extra struggling young lady in your prayers. I pray that someday she finally surrenders and is ready to do anything to stay sober. She might just be consitutionally incapable of being honest with herself.

I called my dad last night, as yesterday was his 21st AA anniversary. He hasn't been to a meeting in years, and drinks the occasional NA beer on a hot summer day but it seems to be working for him. We're not as close as I'd like but it turns out that we're two very different people in some important ways. And, he married into a family that has really put a strain on our relationship and that causes drama where my wife is concerned. So today, rather than getting all hurt and acting the fool like in years past, I can accept all of this and be at peace with my life and myself, and enjoy my dad as much as these things will allow. It's a decent arrangement andmuch more peaceful than it used to be.

5 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Scott,I hope that the drama does not overwhelm you relationship with your Dad.I am glad that he hit his 21st anaversary sober.I am not that far behind him.I do want to point one thing out enjoy the time you have with him,for you will miss him when he is gone.My dad and did not see eye to eye on a lot of things.and he said a few very hurtful things to me.I would gladly have he say a hurtful thing to me than to miss him all these years 27 years since he passed away.away.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy this time of year as well. Hang in there with your family. I know that it can be hard, but they're still our family.

Anonymous said...

I love this time of year, too. Lilac season is the best :)

There's a lot of Al-Anon stuff in the news, right now ( http://stark-raving-sober.blogspot.com/2010/05/mothers-secret-son-is-addict.html ) I hope your family keeps on keepin on.

drybottomgirl said...

I agree, this is a great time of year for alcoholics. I too feel a greater sense of serentiy this time of year. Great growth on your relationship with your dad. There's stuff in my relationships with my brothers, and I think I'll take a chapter from your book, take a look at what it really is, and work in acceptance. I will add your niece to my prayers!

Syd said...

I hope that Natalie is being honest and finds her way to sobriety. But reality is that much of that is up to her and if she wants it bad enough, she will get and stay sober with God's help.

Glad that you and your dad talked. It is good to connect with a parent. It's never too late for that.