Wednesday, June 02, 2010

This day is the only day I have. This day, this moment, is the only time I can affect a change in myself. I cannot afford to get caught up in concerns over money, time, results and outcomes. All I can do is live this day, dedicate it to God, and do my best.

That is what I think of when I see or hear the phrase "One Day at a Time." We use that phrase so often in AA, I sometimes wonder how many people really grasp its meaning. I cannot change my past, and all the worrying and fretting about the future can have no lasting positive effect. If I choose to waste this moment worrying about the future or the past, I've only served to ruin any chance I may have had to affect a positive outcome or right a wrong.

Yet, so many of us alcoholics and addicts are predisposed to worrying and assuming the worst. We don'[t often realize that our negative attitude and worries ultimately create the negative results we are so afraid of. Ever hear of the "self-fulfilling prophecy" process?

So, what the heck am I trying to say here? Stay in today! All we can do is live today. Enjoy this day and all the opportunities, challenges, trials and blessings that come your way. Living "One Day at a Time" is so much simpler for this complicated alcoholic!

4 comments:

drybottomgirl said...

Thanks for the reminder. I know when I'm busy worrying that I'm not in the moment. One 24 hours at a time, this can be a hard rule to follow for people who are used to the past or the future :)

Syd said...

Amen to that. I can keep myself in a good place when I stay in the day and not focus on all that may happen in the future.

Unknown said...

Hey! I love your blog! Your puppy is SOOOO cute! Come visit my blog at:

www.rainbowrecoveryclub.org/author/laurenl

I can't wait to read more from you!

Scott M. Frey said...

Lauren, love your clever writing! I visited the blog, but couldn't comment without creating a wordpress account. I didn't have time for all that but I wanted to let you know that I popped by. Very kool blog!