Friday, January 06, 2012

The most important decision...

Today's reading (Jan 6th) in the 24 Hrs a Day book is my favorite.  My first sponsor assigned this reading as a daily reminder, and with that single suggestion, he quite probably saved my butt.  I learned early on that sobriety HAS to come before everything else in my life, if I am to have a reasonably happy, serene life.

Here's the "AA Thought For the Day" for January 6th...

"A.A. Thought for the Day

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing. Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?"


My whole life changed when I learned this lesson.  I firmly believe that my recovery from drug addiction and alcoholism began when I accepted this truth for myself.  This has proven to be true in my life.  All the meaningful things and people in my life would be somehow missing, limited or damaged if I were drinking and drugging.  That's the plain truth for me.  The meditation and prayer for the day are also excellent, and helpful.

Here is a link to the entire reading: http://www.hazelden.org/web/public/thought.view?catId=1901 

I encourage you to visit the site and read it.  If you're new and/or struggling to get and stay sober, I encourage you to print this off and keep it in your pocket.  Post it someplace you'll see it each morning and night.  Read it often, refer to it especially in times of temptation or difficulty.  I did, and it has made all the difference.

My friend MC awarded me with the "Versatile Blogger" award, which requires me to write 7 things about myself, and tag three other "Versatile Bloggers" to do the same.  I'm going to tackle this one over the weekend.  I really appreciate MC's recognition.  She has been a real inspiration during the almost six years I've had my blog here.  She is a special lady and a wonderful person.  Thanks MC!

2 comments:

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

My sponsor loves that reading too, only in the daily devotional that the 24 hour a day book was created from.

It's a good reading. I love it.

Syd said...

The Hazelden thought for the day is generally a good one. Thanks for sharing this.